The club began as the Carlton Tennis Club in the open fields of Chorlton and Old Trafford in 1889 and had six grass courts. But with housing development threatening the club they made the wise move of purchasing the land for £775 and formed the The Carlton Lawn Tennis Company Ltd.
Despite problems during the Second World War the club thrived and the surface changed from grass to shale with the club based in what would now be regarded as a primitive wooden hut.
The big change in the club’s fortunes came in 1975, when it joined forces with the Northleigh Social Club on Manchester Road, Chorlton to form The Darley Club. The merger proved to be a tremendous success resulting in new premises being built on two of the courts to provide a luxury club house.
In 2003 the club managed to fund the re-surfacing of three of its remaining courts with all-weather tarmacadam, which extended the tennis season and attracted new members. This was made possible by Trafford Borough Council’s rate rebate to sporting establishments for investment in junior development.
New Courts Open Day 2003
On Sunday 13th April 2003, the resurfaced courts were officially opened by Don Cochrane, a tennis champion of years gone by. The ceremony was attended by members past, present and future, and was followed by an american tournament, food and beer (not necessarily in that order)! The event was toasted with a glass of champagne and commemorated with a medal for the dignatories. A great day, great weather and a great turnout. Thanks to all who came along and special thanks to those who put time and effort into organising, supervising and financing the project.
Click thumbnails to enlarge